Glanbia Ireland announce FarmGen Solar PV solution
This technology will help farmers grow their business sustainably into the future, while improving energy efficiency on farm and reducing bills.
Following rooftop installation, FarmGen’s 6Kw Solar PV system will help power energy intensive processes on farm, reducing the costs of milk cooling, vacuum pumps and water heating. Combined these three processes account for around 80% of total milk parlour energy consumption.
Activ8 Solar Energies will supply and install state-of-the-art Solar PV panels along with a smart metering system on each farm. The system will monitor energy generation and consumption in real-time; helping farmers understand where and when energy is consumed, and therefore assisting them to adapt behaviours that will reduce energy costs and improve sustainability.
As part of the solar offering, farms will also have export meters installed that enable them to potentially profit from future incentives to return electricity on to the grid. In advance of this measure, SSE Airtricity will provide an annual export rebate to FarmGen customers, as well as exclusive preferential energy rates on their 100% green energy.*
Farmers can receive 100% financing for the FarmGen initiative through the existing Glanbia Ireland FundEquip scheme, and by leveraging all available grant aids, such as TAMS II (Targeted Agricultural Modernisation Schemes) and SEAI. Activ8 Solar Energies will support all grant funding applications for customers.
This solar power solution is open to all farming sectors and sizes, with customised commercial packages available and importantly there are also options available for those who wish to install Solar PV in their homes to harness the power of green energy. Farmers who wish to register their interest for this product can phone 1890 929 828 or visit https://activ8energies.com/farmgen/.
Jim Bergin, CEO, Glanbia Ireland commented: “In Glanbia Ireland our philosophy is that ‘Goodness Grows Here’ and we are delighted to join with SSE Airtricity and Activ8 Solar Energies to launch our FarmGen programme. Through this economically attractive renewable energy solution, we are empowering our farmers to grow their enterprise and to do this in harmony with the environment, for future generations.”
Martin Keane, Glanbia Group Chairman said: “This is a strong step on the sustainability journey for Glanbia Ireland farmers. This innovative new FarmGen solar package will enable farmers to generate electricity on farm, thereby reducing their energy costs and carbon footprint.”
Key highlights of the Glanbia Ireland FarmGen initiative include:
- Solar PV: Solar PV panels will enable cost efficiency through reducing energy bills and powering farms through on-site renewable generation.
- Smart Metering: Smart meters will enable farmers to better understand their energy generation and consumption and how they can adapt behaviour to drive further savings.
- Export Meter: Export meters will future-proof farms for upcoming feed-in tariffs, enabling them to sell excess generation back to the electricity grid.
- Preferential Rates and 100% Green Energy: FarmGen customers, who switch to SSE Airtricity will be supplied by 100% green energy at exclusive preferential rates, that will further reduce their carbon footprint.
- Fully Funded Solution: The solutions available to Glanbia Ireland farmers through the FundEquip scheme, make it possible for famers to receive competitively priced finance for this product offering.
*100% green energy based on Fuel Mix Disclosure and CO2 Emissions for 2017, published by the Commission for Regulation of Utilities (CRU), September 2018. For more information visit www.sseairtricity.com/greenenergy